January 22, 2014

Is there electricity?

I'm about to let the cat out of the bag, I am a bit high maintenance. Growing up I used to joke that my family's idea of ruffing it was staying at an Embassy Suites. I recall leaving a hotel in Florida once because my mother saw a lizard in the pool area. I do not come from hearty stock - I bruise easily, don't like to be dirty and have never had a "good sweat". 

I like things a certain way when I travel; I have expectations. Room service is a must, and a bellman who can bring my bags to my room and stand awkwardly while I search for the lone dollar bill I have floating around my purse and a hotel bar - because seriously, I like to drink. 

Call me naive, but it just dawned on me that I will be without certain things I have come to expect when I travel to India. Sure, I knew I would be out of my comfort zone - but they clearly must have WiFi, right? Hello, how else am I supposed to keep up with the Kardashians? 

So today, like a stuck-up American everyone in the world hates, I emailed the country manager for Global Volunteers with my questions. It went something like this (insert hair twirling, gum chewing and valley girl cadence - as I am sure that is how he pictured me while reading my email). 

Dear XXXX, 

Please don't think I am a stuck-up American, I am not, well, kind of, it really depends on who you ask. But I have a few questions about the accommodations while I will be in India.

  • Plumbing - will there be a toilet? And one that I can flush? I am not about to go in a bucket, dig a hole or go outside in an outhouse. If no such toilet is available I will attempt to "hold-it" for two weeks. 
  • AC - how freakin' hot is it going to be and will there be AC at every turn? If not, I may need to reconsider this trip all together. 
  • Internet - mama likes to stay connected, so what is the likelihood I can check my Twitter feed every 2-3 minutes? You know I only do things so I can post them on Facebook? 
  • Cell phone - is there someone at the airport I can give money to so I can have a cell phone to use while I am there? I have never gone more than 5 minutes without holding one in my hand and I fear I will go into some sort of seizure. 
Thank you for your time - gotta run, someone just posted something on Pinterest I must repin. 

Erin 

So now I wait for the answers. Many people think this forced culture shock will be good for me. I on the other hand worry about how many shows my DVR will be able to record for me while I am gone. 


No comments:

Post a Comment