February 20, 2014

Excuse me, I'm on business

I have always romanticised business travel. I grew up picturing myself jetting off in a pressed business suit, a designer laptop bag being pulled behind me. Staying in classy hotels, ordering room service and a second cocktail on the company. New cities, new experiences and frequent flyer privileges. I was in love with the idea. 

Then, I started traveling. 

Let me break it down for you:

Airports - we all know them, we all hate them. When you are on business travel you hate them even more because you aren't putting up with the lines, handsy TSA agents and bitchy passengers, to get to your island getaway. The entire time you are waiting, ushered through security like cattle and scrutinized for your eye cream being more than 3 ounces. 'Hello TSA, I have to prevent wrinkles and it takes more than 3 ounces to look good.' 

Food - Being a vegan basically means I have to eat ice berg lettuce, baby carrots stashed in my luggage and Perrier for 'that full feeling'. The cities I travel too aren't the big ones, so being a vegan comes with an eye roll and search for my ubiquitous hacky sac. 

Hotels - here it gets fun. Some hotels are fine, they have decent beds, a TV to watch the local news (seriously, why don't hotels have better channels?) and workout rooms. Then there are the dreaded hotels, the ones you have to stay in because all others are booked. Case in point, the picture below. Taken from a hotel I immediately checked out of five minutes after arriving. Don't get me wrong, my employer is great and does attempt to get me in decent hotels, but it isn't always possible. And sometimes you have to step over a couch or two. 


Here are my rules for putting up with the woes that may come with travel. 
  • Always wear ear buds (in the airport, on the plane, in line for the rental car and in the gym), never take them off or people will assume you are interested in chatting. And you NEVER are. 
  • You might as well cancel the trip if you are in the middle airplane seat. Enough said. 
  • Protein bars are your life line, and so is vodka.
  • Just be lucky you have a job that requires mobility. You could be stuffing lettuce bags on an assembly line. 
So until the next trip.....

3 comments:

  1. Hahaha! I love you. I travel for work and for family and occasionally get to travel for an actual vacation. Earbuds are my life. I wear them when I am playing nothing just to avoid having to talk. Because I will always get cornered by the mature Midwest lady who will tell me all about her 80 grandchildren. I read something recently about some guy who was "super nice" to a little girl on a plane because he talked with her through the flight. And I thought that was unfair. I am a nice person. But I don't always have the time or energy to make new friends with strangers on these travels. And sometimes I really need to just sit quietly for two to six hours and ready some YA nonsense. Always respect that you don't know the circumstances of someone else's travels. Be polite, but don't intrude. That's my platform and I'm sticking to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christina, I totally agree. I will never see these people again, why waste my time learning about their life, children, home and weather situation in their home state. I was on a plane two weeks ago with a lady who waited until we took off to open up her Popeye's chicken. Then she asked me if I have ever had this chicken before. I had to take off my ear buds and I gave her the look like "seriously, we are not bonding over chicken".

      Delete
  2. Jill, the travel we did together was always 4 stars at least. My travel as of late to not such - I do miss commiserating with you in hotel bars :)

    ReplyDelete