July 3, 2015

Market Visit

Internet, how I have missed you. I have't had Internet in days so I am unable to post about our adventures. Three days ago, before work we woke up early for a trip to the Chennai market. We were told we couldn't purchase anything, since as soon as they see foreigners, the price goes up, up and up. So we would just walk through and enjoy. 

The market was truly unlike anything I have ever seen. More than 5,000 people carrying produce on their back and another 5,000+ selling their goods inside and outside. The smell is intense, the floor is wet, but the vibe is truly amazing. 

One of the things I am loving about Chennai, is it isn't a tourist town. So the majority of people have never seen a white person. Honestly, since we arrived, we have only seen one non-Indian, and it was at the market. As soon as we park we are assaulted by homeless children, many naked. They are sent by their parents, whom you can see ushering them up to us from the side of the road. They grab your legs, your hands and your arms - asking for money, making the sign for food, it is intense, but we ignore them. In India it is not appropriate to give money to a homeless person if they look like they are able to work. If they are old, feeble and unable to work, then it is OK to give money. 

Walking through the market you hears the men asking for photos. We are told that they believe if you take their photo they will be famous in America. We don't want to stand out, so we limit the images we snap. 

The attached pictures don't even do one bit of justice to the beauty that was in this market. I was moved to tears, realizing how much I love India and how this place is filled with such beauty. 
Here they talk all flowers off the stems



This is the electrical 


No comments:

Post a Comment