June 17, 2015

In a week

In exactly one week I will be departing Phoenix for Austin to London and then to India. As I prepare for my trip I have learned a few things about myself. 

1. I have no clue how to read time that looks like this 13:04. It is annoying, confusing and frankly bothers me. I know, it is universal, blah blah, but AM and PM works just fine for me. Thanks. 

2. You can't have too many lists. I have several packing spreadsheets, electronic folders for travel documents, lists for things to do when bored, lists of books to read, podcasts to download and listen to, and reminder lists to walk me off the ledge when I realize I am dirty, hot and may or may not be freaking out. 

3. Anyone who knows me knows my vices. A trip without alcohol has made me think about getting tattoos depicting my new straight-edge ways. I don't think I have ever gone on vacation, without a celebratory drink (or more). Thank god for airline vodka bottles. 

4. I take a lot of meds. Piggie-backing off of number 3, I like medicine. Walgreens basically knows my car by how many times I pull into the drive-thru. So getting my restless leg meds, anxiety meds, migraine meds, sleeping meds and malaria meds all together, I am basically like a walking pharmacy. 

5. I need to binge eat all the food I will be without. I dislike India food. Sorry, but I do. So I suspect I will need to live off of naan and Kind bars which I have stock-piled like a doomsday prepper. 

6. I am always looking at glass half-empty. I know it will be amazing, the people will be kind, I will make it, people have done way harder things than this - so knowing that...just let me think negatively until I get there. Thanks. 

7. You can never have too many packing cubes. A disorganized suitcase is the sign of the devil. 

8. I have an acerbic tongue and hope I can keep it in check. I want to be very kind and not come off as a bitchy American (even though I clearly am one). 

9. I hate all my clothes and basically don't own anything that I think I will be comfortable in. 

10. I have more of a fear of dirt than I ever thought. Would it be weird to cover my Tumi in a garbage bag to prevent dust? Yes? Dang. 

The biggest thing I have learned is really something I knew all along. My mind is that of a Type A, OCD, hyper-negative nut. I overthink everything and in the end, my lack of control and knowing what to expect is what causes all anxiety. 

I am getting excited. I can't wait to meet the people, smell the air and get my hands "dirty" in volunteering. Not really dirty though, I have no interest in building, shoveling or painting. See #8.








No comments:

Post a Comment